CPD is engaged in and plans to develop multitude of programs to take steps towards the realisation of its vision and mission. It realises that programs need to be designed keeping in context the need for both immediate and long-term interventions.
Our Samvidhan, Our democracy (SMART Citizenry)
A firm belief in developing an understanding about the constitution to strengthen democracy requires a multi-pronged approach.
- In the present age of internet and online platforms, CPD aims to reach out to the masses through an online video series on unravelling the true meaning of constitutional rights, human rights, citizenship and responsibilities, democratic governance, role of the citizenry and mechanisms to achieve in promoting effective everyday democracy. In order to reach out to a wider section of the population especially the young the online video series would be conducted in Hindi and Marathi. Collaborations would be sort with certain established online open access platforms for dissemination through their portals as well as through independent YouTube channel.
- In order to develop an understanding among the youth regarding democracy, constitutional rights, democratic governance, roles and responsibilities, a module would be developed in collaboration with experts. Municipal schools will be approached to initiate special sessions based on these modules for students of class 8 to 12th. The idea is to generate an understanding, awareness and a sense of responsibility among the adolescents and creating an active citizenry for the future. This program would aim at creating a platform called Bal-Mumbaikar which will consist of representatives of various schools who engaged in the training through these specialized modules.
- Similar initiative like the one in schools will be undertaken for students of Junior Colleges and a concept of “Samvidhan katta” would be developed and implemented by the trained youth.
Democratising Urban Governance
The experience of the urban has been quite different from the rural in context to engagement, ownership and participation in the local governance. Development policies and social conditions are encouraging more migration to urban spaces. Urban democracies are in crises as they are not accepted as third tier of governance and thus lack delegation of independent functions, trained functionaries and access to sufficient funds.
- Our on-going work on the Development Plan of Mumbai in collaboration with various other organizations has provided CPD with a rich source of information regarding programs, policies, institutional challenges, spaces for interventions etc. Therefore, in order to build an understanding and strengthen our advocacy efforts, our programs would be extensively involved in conducting research to inform needs and scope for policy and program development and effective implementation with people’s participation.
- Advocate for transparency and accountable urban governance.
- Facilitate implementation of 74thConstitutional amendment with spirit of participatory governance through awareness building and training of various citizen groups, resident welfare organizations around the need, importance and scope of ward committees and Area Sabha.
- Advocate and facilitate participatory budget making and implementation
Urban policy forum
Facilitate a forum where people from various walks of life like students, academics, experts, activists, unions, movements and policy makers discuss policy – program formulation and implementation for making it more people centric and effective. Additionally, it would allow for exchange of ideas and ability to monitor and track various dimensions of urban governance.
Policy maker’s course
Based on experiential understanding it has been observed that a large section of the elected representatives are unaware about the nuances of urban governance and lack specific trainings on various aspects of urban governance. This has resulted in short-sighted decision making. Training modules will be developed on Development Plans, Participatory budgeting, Area Sabha etc. especially keeping in focus the elected representatives.
Urban activist resource centres
Urban movements are fragmented and there is an absence for space where people can share concerns, build networks, extend solidarity, exchange ideas, access policies-regulations, co-create IEC, have online and off-line knowledge on dimensions related to local governance in local languages. Therefore, in the long run CPD aims to create an online platform where resources- official/ government related policies, acts, program guidelines; books; articles; community generated resources in the form of slogans, posters, songs and; updates on various democratic initiatives being undertaken across the country would be shared. The main focus of this platform would be to make it user-friendly by providing it in multiple local languages.